Skip to content ↓

Coombes Girls School

Medical Information


If a girl feels ill during lesson time the teacher will send her with a note to the medical area. Parents are contacted immediately if illness necessitates a girl going home or if an accident has occurred.  It is important, therefore, that the school has details of parents’ home and emergency telephone numbers.  There is also space in your daughter’s diary for her to record an emergency contact number – please ensure that this is filled in and kept up to date. It is very important that we know of any medical situations which arise during a school day, so if your daughter feels unwell, she should tell her teacher and report to Reception in the first instance.

All girls who become ill or who have an accident will be assessed by qualified First Aid staff. These staff will make a decision about contacting home and giving any treatment. In an emergency, we will make a decision about seeking further medical advice but in the majority of circumstances, this decision will need to be made by the parents. We would ask you to support us in this matter and only make arrangements for your daughter to leave school via the office staff. The school does not employ a trained nurse, therefore students with any medical conditions should be taken to their GP by the parents/carers and not sent to school for diagnosis.

Paracetamol / Non Prescription Pain Relief

Occasionally a child will come to us with a minor pain (e.g. an earache or headache) and there will be times they ask for a pain relief. The school’s policy is that we do not supply pain relief to students without written permission from the parent/carer. The child must also have their own supply of tablets that will be kept in the medical room.


If your child has a chronic condition that the school is aware of, please help us to help them by keeping us informed of any changes.  This is particularly important if they take part in any school trips or activities as the school records are used to collate relevant information.

Please refer to the Health and Safety Policy for further information on Supporting Pupils at School with Medical Needs


If you are aware that your son/daughter is unwell and not fit to attend school please keep them at home.  Any vomiting or diarrhoea should be given a clear 24 hour period to avoid the spread of viruses.

If your son/daughter sustains an injury over the weekend please ensure they are dealt with before returning to school.

Students should not be using their mobile phones to contact parents if they feel unwell in school.  They should tell the teacher who should sign their diary and send them to the medical room to be assessed by one of the first aiders on duty.


We do not hold student inoculation records at the school.

Records of inoculations that were administered before August 2016 are available from KU19, Hollyfield Road, Surbiton  Telephone: - 020 8549 6323.

Records of inoculations administered after August 2016 are available from Hounslow and Richmond Community Health   Telephone:- 020 3691 1042.


Individual pupils who are undergoing a course of treatment should leave their tablets or medicine in the care of the School Office. These should be in a separate container, clearly labelled with the pupil’s name, the name of the drug, the dosage and the expiry date of the drug. On each occasion when a pupil needs to bring medicine into school, we will need a separate letter from the parent with full details of the needs of the child.

Student Medical request form


Link to enquiry form


headlice information