Attendance & Absence
reporting an absence
Parents must telephone or text the school by 08:20 on the first day of their daughter or
son’s absence and every day thereafter and follow directions on the answering service to
record the absence.
Parents must record
(i) their daughter’s or son’s name, spelling them
(ii) her/his form and
(iii) the reason for her/his absence.
We take punctuality very seriously and will work with you to ensure that your daughter has a good start to the working day.
All late arrivals will be counted and will lead to an after school detention on Friday each week.
We will follow this pattern:
- 1 late – text message home and 10 minute tutor detention after school
- 2 lates – text message + 20 minute Friday detention after school
- 3 lates – text message + 30 minute Friday detention after school
- 4 lates – text message + 40 minute Friday detention after school plus parent meeting
- 5 lates – text message + 1 hour Friday detention after school plus parent meeting
Absence requests are rarely granted and almost never to those whose attendance is below 98%.
Requests for holidays during term time are never authorized. Requests for all forms of absence (including medical appointments) must be made well in advance and in writing. Parents must print and complete the pro forma below and return it to the school; we ask for a month’s notice. Mr Platt will then make a decision as to whether the absence is approved or not and this decision is final. Any absence taken without authorization, without suitable notice, or taken after the school has refused permission, will be treated as unauthorized. A pattern of such absence, or a one off absence of more than one day, will trigger further intervention.
The school will always inform the appropriate staff at the Local Authority about any unauthorized absences.