In the future, everyone will need to have had some business education. Whatever you do in your career, the chances are that it will involve some ‘business’. Scientists, engineers and artists will all need to understand the basics of how to run an organisation.
Through our business courses, you will learn about how to use the theory and concepts in areas such as Marketing, Finance, Operations and Human resources. You will also explore and provide solutions to real business problems looking at companies such as Coca-Cola and Apple.
MEET THE DEPARTMENT
WHY CHOOSE BUSINESS AT GCSE
What does studying Business GCSE involve?
- 100% Exam.
- Theme 1 & 2 units of study.
- 2 written exams at the end of 2 years.
- Lots of business topics such as market research, profits, business plans, technology, legislation and the economy.
How will I know if I will be good at it?
- Students will be assessed after each topic with a test. Verbal and written feedback will also be provided through marked assessments.
- If you follow and are interested in Business innovations.
- If you enjoy calculations.
- If you enjoy arguing and writing essays to prove your point!
What skills will I develop?
- Team work
- Business Knowledge
- Real Business examples
Where could this subject lead?
Career pathways include:
- Armed Forces
- Arts admin
- Central & Local Gov’t
- Library/Information work
- Market research
- Management Consultancy
- NHS Management
- Public Relations
- Social Work
- Management Studies
- Leisure & Sport
- Finance & Accounting
- Economics, Politics & International Relations
- Management & Mandarin (Chinese) MFL
- Computer Science
- Travel & Tourism
- Information Technology
- Fashion Buying
- Law & Business Studies
- Hotel/ Retail Business Management
Combination of other subjects, Other good A-levels include:
- Product Design
- Most other subjects are relevant
Industrial Design and Technology
WHAT TO EXPECT IN YEAR 10 & 11
● Topic 1.1 Enterprise and entrepreneurship
● Topic 1.2 Spotting a business opportunity
● Topic 1.3 Putting a business idea into practice
● Topic 1.4 Making the business effective
● Topic 1.5 Understanding external influences on business
Students will be tested after each topic to assess their understanding and progress on the course. A mock exam will also further assess understanding at the end of the year.
● Topic 2.1 Growing the business
● Topic 2.2 Making marketing decisions
● Topic 2.3 Making operational decisions
● Topic 2.4 Making financial decisions
● Topic 2.5 Making human resource decisionsStudents will be tested after each topic to assess their understanding and progress on the course. Mock exams will also further assess understanding at the end of the year.
business trips and events
INDUSTRY VISITS TO COOMBE SAINSBURY VISIT TO THE MUSEUM OF BRANDS VISIT TO CHESSINGTON WORLD OF ADVENTURES